Children & Elderly

As mentioned in my previous posts I've been looking into mental health in nursing and carer homes.
Doing the interviews and secondary research online I learned how important mental health in nursing/ care homes is.

The whole purpose of doing daily activities with elderly people is to get them out of their bedrooms.
After we visited Riverbrook home in County Limerick I then decided to introduce some gardening activities to bring the locals in more. After doing more research I then looked into the elderly and children working together.

I learned that in Australia, the UK & America few places have been doing "experiment" and results are phenomenal!
The whole reason behind this experiment that children challenge the elderly to move around more, not even that this is beneficial to their physical strength and exercising, but mental health too. Children are "manipulating" the elderly challenging them to do more. The study has shown that after this experiment carer residents depression went from 7 to 4 in just 6 weeks, as well as that the residents found themselves enjoying spending time and genuinely happy.

This shows how important human interaction with others is.

For this project the concept is mental health, I think it is so important for us to try and help others as much as we can.


Comments