Age Friendly Ireland

Hello Wednesday!

As previously mentioned I haven't felt really well so I haven't posted for a few days.  I have been doing some research for the project for Desing Studio 3. Our lecturer Sue has suggested a few websites to do more research for us.

I did some research on Age Friendly Ireland. The census of 2011 indicates that there are more than half a million people ages 65 or older in Ireland.  Many other countries in Europe have already experienced a market gaining of their population, with up to 20% or more. By 2031 there will be almost one million older people in Ireland,  representing an 85% increase since 2011.

Developments such as this raise many issues for the healthcare services in Ireland.
The World Health Organisation has identified the following as essential features of an Age-Friendly community:
→ Mental & social services
→  Residential care facilities
All staff is respectful and trained

HSE's brought together groups of older people from Ireland during Winter months in 2014 from  Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Kilkenny, and Meath to discuss their experiences of health services.  More than 100 people attended this meeting. The participants got to express their experiences of the healthcare system both positive & negative. I mainly focused on nursing and care homes. I learned that nursing homes need more staff and appropriately trained staff. There were many complaints from the residents of nursing homes which they claimed that a lot of staff is not fully trained and not sure at times what they were doing.

I feel like this is very important to us as a country, it is very important to understand, that life expectancy is getting longer and because population is growing, cities are expanding and unfortunately in Ireland we are short houses as it is.
This problem is very serious not only to us designers, but politicians and everyone. In just 10 years there will be almost one million elderly people in Ireland. Stats are showing that in 20 years they are predicting the even larger number.

I am not done reading about it yet, but I thought this was really important for all of us. There is so much information out there you just need to look.

Thank you all for reading my blog, I will keep you updated on my next step!



Comments