Research on nursing/care home

Happy Wednesday!

I hope you all having a great afternoon.
So I've been doing some research online about care and nursing home in Ireland and all over the world.
As I mentioned yesterday I will also a couple of interviews with social care students and carers in a nursing home.
I decided to interview two 4th year students that are doing social care in LIT, one second-year student that is also doing the same course. I will also interview two carers one that works in Newcastle County Limerick and second worker is working around Clare and Limerick areas.

Doing secondary research I learn a lot of helpful information that I will now be going to share with you all. However, I feel like I need to do more in-depth research to understand it better, as mentioned yesterday I want to have a clear understanding of the care and nursing home.

I found a quote about what does the nursing home does that I really liked.
"Nursing homes offer the most extensive care a person can get outside a hospital"

This means that a care assistant would need to help a patient to get dresses bath, eat, etc.
I also learned that activities in a nursing home are very important for mental health for the patients. There are some activities such as afternoon tea, arts & crafts, baking, cooking, board games, walking clubs, music, getting fresh air, gardening clubs,  bingo, etc.

I also looked into some challenges in nursing facilities such as financial pressure, population decline, increased activity of care and staffing.

As well as that I learned that communication is crucial in nursing homes. For example, caring for someone with dementia the main thing is to listen, speak clearly and avoid distractions.

I was also reading about the common desease3 conditions founds in the elderly such as depression, heart diseases, Parkinsons, dementia, etc.

As well as did I did a bit of research in nursing homes needs. Nursing home facilities might need a room and broad, monitoring medication, personal care, social activities, and 24-hour emergency care.

There are some questions I prepared for the interviews.
1. What are the regulations?
2. How to help elderly people?
3. Are there any specific needs?
4. How important is communication with them?
5. What did they learn so far about elderly people?
6. Activities?
7. Activity areas?
8. Any problems, challenges that they faced working in nursing homes?
9. What do they know about mental health?
10. Is there anything they would recommend or suggest that it would help with this project?

I have a class now and our lecturer Sue is going to show us some slides related to this project.
Thank you so much for reading my blog, I will keep you updated on my next step!
Thank you and have a good day !!




Comments