Research on mental health in nursing homes

Hello Friday!

It's finally a weekend !! ( I am being sarcastic 😅 Unforitnetly, I have to go to work tomorrow and Sunday and trust me I so much rather be in college doing college work than going to work 😰😂😂)

As mentioned on Monday we got a brief for Desing Studio 3. Our last project !! 😇
I have been doing some research on nursing/ care homes all over Ireland as well as all over the world.
I felt like it was important for me to do some research on Mental Health, as I came across a lot of information regarding this subject, while I was learning about the care and nursing homes.
So I spent the last couple of days learning and understanding better how important Mental Health is in nursing homes.

One of the things I've learned so far is when getting older there are common diseases such as Dementia, Alzheimer's, depression and so on.
I came across Bupa New Zealand. It has been recognized as "Dementia-friendly" by Alzheimer's.
This accreditation recognizes Bupa's commitment to raining awareness of Dementia in the community.
"Person First, Dementia Second"
Activities such as exercise benefits to one's mental health a lot. A recent Swedish study shows that physical activity was the number one contributor to longevity.  As well as this it improves sleep, boots mood, and self-confidence helps reduce the feeling of sadness, depression, and anxiety.

I also learned that a lot of mentally ill patients end up in nursing and caring home, which makes carers' job difficult, this means that the carer or the nurse would need to extra careful with the patients, they would need to learn their likes and dislikes.

Like I wrote in my previous Blog, Communication is crucial in nursing and care homes. Even tho we are not sure what the brief is like, or what the client wants I feel like my starting point will be around Mental Health and Activities that can help Age-Friendly patients.

I am sorry if this is not making much sense to you, but it is making a lot of sense to me.😁😁

I think its time to go home, I am here since 11am this morning. I am very happy with the process, I feel like for once I am on the top of my work. To do this I made a calendar, where I plan how long I will spend on tasks that I will get.

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I will keep you all updated on my next step.


Comments