Research on Materials

Hello Tuesday!

I hope you all having a great day! In today's post I am going to write about the research I did on the materials for the table I am designing. I know I did a post on the materials a few weeks ago, but I am doing some changes that I thought would be more beneficial. 

Like I have mentioned before I am designing a height-adjustable table that fits into a Circular Economy. For me, it was very important that all the materials were recycled in Ireland. I feel like it is very important for us to shop locally, it lets us get to know people from all over Ireland, but it also helps the economy. Another reason why I wanted the materials to be recycled in Ireland so that the recycled materials wouldn't have to be brought from a different country, so for example if a truck would have to drive from Sweeden with some materials, not that it would take a few days, but the transport is also is a major user of energy, it burns a lot of petroleum. This causes air pollution and is a significant contributor to global warming. Now I am well aware that the materials would still have to be transported across the country, but the main idea behind this that the trucks with the recycled materials wouldn't be driving so much as they would be if the trucks were coming from different countries. 

Because I wanted "to shop" locally I looked into Hegarty Metals Ltd in Limerick, they are based on Tipperary Road, Ballysimon, Limerick. They take in stell and recycle it. The metal is from scrap yards are reuses it 98%.  I contacted today, however, they said they will ring me back because they were busy. 
I also contacted Irishwaste.net it is free to waste manager audit, they are based in Carryduft, Belfast. I sent an email asking how they recycle the wood because the wood will be used for the table I am designing as a desk. 
For the ping-pong net, I was thinking, of course, to reuse the old ones, or Recycling old fishing nets to limit environmental damage. I then came across a company Textile Recycling Limited: TRL. Privately owebed Irish textile company operate by recycling textiles by putting banks & containers around the country. I also sent them an email I was just curious would it be possible to make a strong, long-lasting table net from the textiles. 
I also thought about eco-friendly packaging, ping-pong bats and ping-pong balls. Now I contacted aesil.ie they are the first company in Ireland that recycles car tires into crumb rubber for eco products, nothing is wasted with zero landfills. 
I sent them an email just inquiring would it be possible to make a ping-pong bat from recycled tires.
However, I still need to do some research on packing as I want the packing to be out of paper or cardboard, I will also need to find out more of ping-pong balls. 

Like I've mentioned in this post, I did concated the companies, fingers crossed that they will get back to me. I will continue doing more research in the meantime. Thank you all so much for reading my blog, I will keep you all updated on my next step! 
Have a good Tuesday and enjoy college while it lasts, because this year is flying!
 


Egle 

Comments